Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Basketball Belly

This has been a great year for many reasons...

Hubby got a great new job.

The basketball team went 21-8 and we won our conference outright for the first time since 1984 (when our big man's dad was on the team).

I got to go to the State Cheerleading Competition for the second time. Always fun to spend time with the girls and coaches.

But, like all good things, this year will come to an end.

Unfortunately (at least at the moment), I have a souvenir to remind me of this year: my basketball belly.

You see, basketball season, particularly when your hubby coaches AND works as an administrator AND is the Athletic Director, is all about late dinners. When will he be home? And, "Hey, we beat our cross-town rivals! Let's go out for a late dinner and celebrate!" (And celebrating usually involves nachos...oh, nachos...)

Anyway...

Since this was a particularly good season, with lots of nights of celebrating with lots half-priced appetizers at a local restaurant (don't judge...I hadn't had any dinner), I gained a little more than my normal winter weight.

I used to joke that I gained weight every winter just like bears do before they hibernate. A particularly apt joke, considering my deep and abiding love of sleep. But this winter's weight gain was a little on the ridiculous side and I need to be getting something of a grip on the situation.

And so I have come to two dramatic conclusions. (I know you're on the edge of your seat for these announcements...aren't you? ...............Hello? Is this thing on?

........Anyway.............

Conclusion #1: I will not do even one tiny spec of clothes shopping, not even for accessories, until I have gotten some control over the situation. If you're sitting there, stunned into silence, and shaking your head, believe me, I know how unlikely and drastic such a course of action sounds. But it's the best incentive I could think of to actually achieve results.

*Possible side effects of Conclusion #1: Getting to go shopping for lots of new, and exceptionally cute clothes in a smaller size.

Conclusion #2: I will share the story of my quest here, with you -- the good, the bad, and the ugly (my first ab workout will likely fall into the ugly category). Triumphs and utter failures. Nothing will be off limits. Heaven help you all.

Wish me luck. I'll report back tomorrow with my Day 1 Workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment