Sunday, June 21, 2009

Flying Gorillas




Birthdays when I was in college were always a challenge. You see, since my birthday is in early December, it always seemed to fall on the first day of final exams or on the day before exams. In other words, my birthday was at a time when no one had the time or the inclination to celebrate. The Christmas after my 21st birthday my parents and I were shopping at the St. Louis Galleria and stopped for lunch at the Cheesecake Factory. A Flying Gorilla at the Cheesecake Factory is a banana and chocolate daquiri and it was the first alcoholic drink I ever had with my parents. I think I chose to get that particular drink because it had an interesting name more than any other reason. You may have noticed from my post titles that I enjoy interesting names! =]

For the past several days my husband has been requesting that I come up with a recipe for banana chocolate chip muffins. I don't know why he suddenly began to crave that particular combination, but it works out well, since I can name that creation a Flying Gorilla. I did some recipe research online, everything from asking my friend Emily (of The View From the Thirty-Second Floor) to epicurious and foodnetwork.com. Finally, I chose to use a recipe from Tyler Florence and adapt it slightly. Overall, I was very pleased with the results. Below is the recipe from Tyler's Ultimate. Any changes I made are noted in parentheses.

Flying Gorillas

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour (I used half whole wheat flour and half A/P)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 overripe bananas
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup pecans, chopped (I used a 6 oz. bag of walnuts and chopped them roughly)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and lightly butter 2 muffin tins. (I used paper muffin liners -- easier clean-up.)

In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside. Mash 2 of the bananas with a fork in a small bowl so they still have a bit of texture. With an electric mixer fitted with a wire whisk, whip the remaining bananas and sugar together like you mean it, for a good 3 minutes (I whipped all four bananas, at hubby's request). Add the melted butter, eggs, and vanilla and beat well, scraping down the sides of the bowl once or twice. Mix in the dry ingredients just until incorporated. Fold in the nuts and the mashed bananas with a rubber spatula. Spoon the batter into the muffin tins to fill them about halfway (I used a 1 1/2 inch ice cream scoop to get even muffins).

Give them a rap on the counter to get any air bubbles out (this was a good idea -- I'll do this with other muffins, brownies, etc. in the future).

Bake until a toothpick stuck in the muffins comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes (these were ready after 18 minutes in my oven). Let cool for a few minutes before turning the muffins out. Serve warm or at room temperature.

These are delicious and I can't wait to have one for breakfast tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. 4 over-ripe bananas....you really had to be patient all week!

    Ok so the first alcoholic drink I ever ordered was a strawberry daquiri...and get this....with my parents! A flying gorilla sounds oh so much more exciting than your basic strawberry. In Adam's request he did mention wanting chocolate chips.

    Great tip with rapping it on the counter to get the bubbles out. Great recipe! What was Adam's take on them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Over-ripe"??? hahaha! I bought bananas yesterday and hoped for the best. I thought they mashed up pretty well, and the 3-minute spin the stand mixer certainly pulverized any stubborn pieces. The "rap the pan" rule is something I first saw Ina Garten do in an episode of Barefoot Contessa when she made Outrageous Chocolate Brownies. She raps the pan halfway through baking. I rapped before baking. Also, I need to make those brownies! Oooo! I also want to make Beatty's Chocolate Cake. Have you seen that episode? The batter has a cup of strong brewed coffee in it. I figured it's perfect for you and me. =]

    Oh, and Adam said the muffins were, "Okay." High praise indeed! =] He thinks the walnuts were "overpowering." He suggests halving the amount of nuts, or "using a less robust nut." I think he's making fun of me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to mention that I love the picture...adding visuals to your blog...a big step! A less robust nut?! That just makes me laugh. Maybe try peanuts next time.

    I have seen the ina recipe with the coffee and cake. Coffee and chocolate go so well together. Even better would be eating the cake while drinking coffee.

    On the next food network star tonight they are cooking and serving for ina at her house in the Hamptons.

    ReplyDelete