Monday, June 8, 2009

High *Steaks* Cooking

Today has been a busy day at my house. I got up early and did some cleaning (vacuuming, my least favorite chore), ran a bunch of errands, planted some beautiful Sprint Red begonias in between rain showers, and then started on dinner: Grilled Steak Kabobs. I started with a 2.15 lb. (it was gi-normous) London Broil steak, a fairly expensive cut, but it was recommended by my butcher. And what a great recommendation! The steak was juicy, tender, and absolutely melt-in-your-mouth delicious! I cut the steak into kabob-sized cubes (about an inch to an inch-and-a-half square), and marinated them in a homemade marinade that I've used in the past with chicken. But I can happily report that it is excellent with steak as well! I'm sure this would have been even better had the steak marinated overnight, and that's what I plan to do next time. But since Adam and I have been grilling quite a bit lately, I was craving something other than our usual burgers.

The Marinade:
One clove of garlic, minced per pound of meat
Combine 2 tablespoons of each of the following for each pound of meat:
-Olive oil
-Soy Sauce
-Honey

The Kabobs:
I soaked bamboo skewers for about an hour before loading and grilling them. In theory, this should keep the skewers from catching fire on the grill. In reality, the skewers caught fire fairly quickly and Adam and I were kept busy finding creative ways of putting them out (using tongs to grab the flames and smother them is a method I can recommend).

I loaded the skewers with the marinated steak cubes, chunks of yellow onion, and red and yellow bell peppers. Delicious!

1 comment:

  1. Your marinade sounds so good. I love to picture the two of you putting out the skewer flames!

    ReplyDelete