Thursday, January 15, 2009

Apple Crisp Muffins

The other night my mother-in-law gave me a recipe for some wholesome oatmeal muffins that can be modified in a variety of ways. Since I’m staring down my (wait for it) FIVE-DAY WEEKEND (thank you ridiculously cold weather), I thought it was the perfect time for a baking binge. I made the muffins using a few of the recipe’s suggested modifications and a few of my own that I thought of as I was mixing the muffins. First, to increase the “healthy” factor, I used half the all-purpose flour suggested and substituted whole-wheat flour for the rest. I also threw in a couple tablespoons of wheat germ for good measure. I combined the rest of the dry ingredients as suggested and at the last minute dumped in a little cinnamon…probably about a teaspoon. The “apple crisp” muffins idea was starting to take shape, especially as I started to eye the gala apples sitting on my counter top. Seconds later I was grating apples energetically and wondering how many calories could be burned cooking. The answer I eventually arrived at: not enough. =[ But now my whole house is filled with the smell of baking apples, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Awesome!

The muffins are delicious! I can't wait to eat them for breakfast and (bonus), they freeze really well, so I made a double batch.

Basic Muffin Recipe

1 cup quick oats
1 cup reduced fat, cultured buttermilk
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

In a bowl, soak oats in buttermilk for 15 minutes. Stir in beaten egg, brown sugar, and vegetable oil. In a separate bowl, combine flour, bkaing powder, baking soda, and salt. Combine with wet ingredients until just combined. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin tins 3/4 full. Bake at 400 degrees for 16-18 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack. Makes one dozen muffins.

Options: Add raisins, nuts, dried cranberries, mashed banana, grated apple, chocolate chips, about 1/4 cup of your choice. You could also add cinnamon or grated orange or lemon zest.

Apple Crisp Muffins:

1 cup quick oats
1 cup reduced fat, cultured buttermilk
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons wheat germ
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 apple, grated

Note: I combined the cinnamon with the other dry ingredients and the apple with the wet ingredients. Otherwise, I followed the recipe as described above.

No comments:

Post a Comment