Saturday, January 17, 2009

CHEER! by Kate Torgovnick


I picked up CHEER! at a clearance sale at the local Border's. Teaching English means that I'm always on the lookout for books that my students might like to read in class. I have tons of cheerleaders in my senior classes, so this book was a no-brainer. And as I sat down to read it, I was pleasantly surprised by how fascinating it was.

Ms. Torgovnick is a journalist who has devoted a large chunk of her career to writing about extreme athletes. And who could be more extreme than college cheerleaders? If you ask me, there's something deeply frightening, but also awe-inspiring, about watching a tiny girl being launched up into the rafters of an arena by guys who look like linebackers for the football team.

Anyway, this book was a very readable and accessable biography of three college cheerleading squads that Torgovnick followed from try-outs through national competitions. Not only did I get a crash course in cheerleading (there's a very helpful glossary in the back of the book), but I was pleasantly surprised to find that this wasn't just about the public and happy aspects of cheerleading. Torgovnick reported on cheerleaders who quit the team, worked through eating disorders, and dealt with injuries that were potentially season-ending, if not life-threatening, as well as dealing with a variety of family issues and crises, all while maintaining their grades and cheering schedule. It was an incredibly honest look at a very underappreciated sport. Even though I'm not a big fan of nonfiction, I enjoyed this book.

On a scale of 1-5, I would give it a 3.5

No comments:

Post a Comment