Sunday, January 25, 2009

You Say Tomato, I Say Sauce!











You know, I normally am not a fan of Sundays. When I was a kid, it was a day that was spent doing homework and anticipating another long week before reaching the next weekend. It was a night that meant I had to go to bed early instead of getting to stay up. And now that I'm an adult, not much has changed. After all, I'm a teacher. I've gone from sitting among the students to standing in front of them, so Sundays are still a day to anticipate another week and a night when I definitely need to go to bed early. However, today I wasn't doing homework or even grading papers. Today was devoted to testing out new recipes and making at least one old favorite.

The "old favorite" in question is a very simple, homemade tomato sauce. I belong to a recipe forum called AllRecipes.com. This particular sauce can be found by searching "Simple Marinara Sauce." My husband loves this sauce and I usually make a double batch and freeze some to have on hand for quick suppers. Today we had it as part of chicken parmigiana for lunch, although it is also delicious over pasta or combined with ground beef to make a tangy meat sauce. My husband isn't a fan of chunky tomato sauces, but I really enjoy combining this sauce with fire roasted diced tomatoes for some added texture.

Simple Marinara Sauce

INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
2 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
2 1/2 tablespoons dried parsley
1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon onion powder

DIRECTIONS
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute garlic until aromatic and tender. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato puree, oregano, parsley, Romano cheese, Parmesan cheese, bay leaves and onion powder. Reduce heat to low and simmer for at least 40 minutes.

Modifications:
I add a tablespoon of sugar to the sauce to cut the acidity just a tad. In the past I have also used two cans of crushed tomatoes instead of tomato puree. Occasionally, we have found that the sauce is too thin, and using additional crushed tomatoes really helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment