Sunday, January 25, 2009

Making Bread, Breaking Bread


I think one of the most terrifying things for a cook to do is make her own bread from scratch. Personally, I had never tried making bread from scratch, but I have had numerous bad experiences with trying to make flaky, light biscuits. So today, I braved the unknown and baked bread. And while I can't make biscuits to save my life, I have found that I can make a mean loaf of bread.

This particular recipe came from my best friend's blog: The View From the 32nd Floor. I highly recommend it (the blog and the recipe).

Multigrain Bread

1/2 cup oatmeal
2 cups boiling water
1 envelope dry yeast
4 1/3 cups flour (I used half white and half whole wheat)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
2 teaspoons flax seeds
2 teaspoons poppy seeds

Place oatmeal in a large bowl. Pour 2 cups boiling water over. Let stand until mixture cools slightly, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle yeast over oatmeal. Add flour, oil, sugar, and salt and stir until smooth. Cover and let rest 15 minutes.

Knead dough until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Oil large bowl. Add dough to bowl. Cover with clean kitchen towel and let rise until bread has doubled in size.

Mix the seeds in a bowl. Punch down dough. Knead briefly and add the seeds as you do and shape into a loaf (or two). Cover and let rise about 30 minutes.

Using sharp knife, cut 3 diagonal slashes on the surface of the loaf. Bake at 425 until golden brown, about 35 minutes.

Modifications:
I used 1 1/3 cup of all purpose flour and 3 cups of whole wheat flour. I also rolled the loaf in oatmeal before I let it sit for 30 minutes before baking. Other than that I followed the recipe exactly and it was delicious!

2 comments:

  1. I am so thrilled that you made it! Did you really really like it or are you just being polite? When I make bread I'm always afraid I'm going to kill the yeast and it won't rise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, I really love this bread! It is so good as breakfast and today since we were home all day (yay, snowdays!) I snuck upstairs and had a couple pieces throughout the day. The yeast thing scares me too! You mentioned in your blog that the bread dough shouldn't control your day, but I have to admit, I checked on it about a gillion times while it was rising (LOL).

    ReplyDelete